New Law On E-Transactions in Vietnam 2023
On 23 June 2023, The National Assembly passed the Law on E-Transactions No.20/2023/QH15 (“New ET Law”), replacing the current Law on E-Transactions No. 51/2005/QH 11. The New ET Law includes 54 articles and seven chapters addressing a number of issues on onshore and offshore businesses having E-transactions with consumers in Vietnam. The New ET Law will come into force on 01 July 2024 and supersede the ET Law 2005.
Table of contents:
According to Article 1, the new ET Law focuses on using electronic means in transactions whose substances, conditions, and forms will be governed by other specific laws.
2. The recognition of foreign e-signatures and foreign e-signature certificates
According to Article 26.1 of the new ET Law, Foreign e-signatures and foreign e-signature certificates will be recognized in Vietnam if they meet the conditions:
- - Are provided by a foreign e-signature certification service provider (among other requirements);
- - Such service providers, in order to be recognized, must themselves meet multiple other criteria of Vietnam;
- + A foreign e-signature certificate provided by a foreign e-signature certification service provider is formed based on fully authenticated identification information of a foreign organization or individual.
- + Foreign e-signatures and foreign e-signature certificates provided by foreign e-signature certification service providers must conform to standards and technical regulations on electronic signatures and e-signature certificates as prescribed by Vietnamese law or recognized international standards or treaties to which the Socialist Republic of Vietnam is a party;
- + Organizations providing foreign e-signature certification services must update the status of foreign e-signature certificates in the trusted service certification system of Vietnamese competent authorities.
- - Having a representative office in Vietnam.
According to Article 36.3 of the New ET Law about the rules, the execution and performance of E-Contracts must comply with the new ET Law and other relevant regulations. The parties in the E-Contracts can agree on the technical requirements, verification, and conditions to ensure the integrity and confidentiality related to such E-contracts.
4. Digital platforms and information system administrator
Information system administrator serving e-transaction is stimulated on the Article 45 of the New ET Law:
- - Information system serving e-transactions includes hardware, software, and databases set up with key functions and features to serve electronic transactions, ensuring authenticity and reliability in electronic transactions.
- - Digital platform serving e-transaction: The information system specified in Article 45.1 of the new ET Law creates an electronic environment that allows parties to conduct transactions or provide and use products or services or use them to develop products or services.
- - The intermediary digital platform serving e-transaction: digital platform specified in Article 45.2 of the new ET Law where the owner of the digital platform is independent of the parties performing the transaction.
Although the New ET Law is scheduled to take effect on July 1, 2024, it only contains general provisions that appear to be unenforceable. Thus, more unambiguous government direction is fundamental for the compelling consistency plan of organizations. The public authority hopes to give the New ET Regulation directing/executing order by mid-one years from now.
- Forms attached to Decree No. 152/2020/ND-CP and Degree 70/2023/ND-CP related to Foreigner Labour
- New Regulations on Work Permit in Vietnam Under Decree No. 70/2023/ND-CP
- List Of Facilities Under Police Management on Fire Protection
- List Of Facilities Requiring Fire Management
- List of countries exempted from visa when entering Vietnam
- Regulations on electronic money transfer transactions in anti-money laundering
- New Regulations On Onshore Loans In Viet Nam 2023
- New Laws and Regulations on Immigration of Foreigners in Vietnam
- New Bidding Law In Viet Nam
- Procedures For Foreign Degree Recognition In Vietnam