Process for marriage registration in Vietnam?
Question: Dear DB Legal - Law Firm in Da Nang, Vietnam. I am a foreigner living in Da Nang, Viet Nam. I want to get married in Viet Nam and am studying the process/procedure for marriage registration in Vietnam. Please kindly advise. Thank you so much
Thank you for your email.
For your questions, DB Legal – Law Firm in Da Nang, Vietnam answers as follows:
According to Article 38 of the Law on Civil Status in Vietnam, the application for marriage registration includes the basic documents:
1) The Form for marriage registration;
2) A written certification of a competent Vietnamese or foreign health organization stating that he/she does not suffer from any mental or other diseases which deprive him/her of the ability to perceive and control his/her acts to the civil status registration agency;
3) The certified copy of the passport;
4) Other documents.
According to Article 30 of the Law on Civil Citizen, the procedure of marriage registration in Viet Nam is:
1. Within 15 days after receiving complete papers, civil status officers shall verify; if seeing that the law-prescribed marriage conditions are fully met, the district-level Justice Division shall report to the chairperson of the district-level People's Committee for settlement.
2. Upon marriage registration, both male and female partners must be present at the head office of the People's Committee, the civil status officer shall ask for the opinions of the male and female partners. If seeing that they voluntarily marry each other, the civil status officer shall record the marriage in the civil status book and together with the male and female partners sign in the civil status book. The male and female partners shall both sign in the marriage certificate.
The chairperson of the district-level People's Committee shall hand the marriage certificate to the couple.
3. The Government shall stipulate additional papers in marriage registration dossiers, interviews to verify the marriage purpose when settling marriage registration requests; procedures to grant marital status certificates to Vietnamese citizens for marrying foreigners at competent foreign agencies overseas in order to guarantee lawful rights and interests of parties.
4. Granting marriage licenses
a. Within 3 working days from the date on which the President of the People’s Committee of the district signs marriage licenses, the Committee Division of Justice shall grant marriage licenses to the partners in person.
b. The granting of marriage licenses shall be consistent with Clause 3 Article 38 of the Law on civil status.
Marriage licenses shall be valid from the date on which they are documented in the vital records and granted to the partners as prescribed in this Clause.
c. If either or both partner(s) cannot present to receive a marriage license(s), the Committee Division of Justice shall, upon their request in writing, give an extension of granting period providing not exceeding 60 days, from the date on which the President of People’s Committee of district signs marriage licenses. Upon expiration of such a 60-day period, if both partners fail to present and receive marriage licenses, the Committee Division of Justice shall request the President of the People’s Committee of the district to cancel the signed marriage licenses.
If the partners still wish to get married thereafter, they shall follow the procedures for marriage registration from the beginning.
Please see more at: https://dblegal.vn/services/marriage-registration/marriage-registration-911.html
- Basic compulsory reports relating to FDI Company in Vietnam
- What will Vietnam's penalty be if you drive without a driver's license?
- Recruitment Foreign Labor In Expert Position
- Recruitment Of Foreign Labor In The CEO/Business Manager Position
- Recruitment Foreign Labor Married With Vietnamese
- Documenting the marriage registration in the Civil Status Book in Vietnam
- Authorization to register marriage in Vietnam
- Birth Registration Certificate in Vietnam
- Which projects need a fire protection license in Vietnam?
- Can foreigners have their names on a red book in Vietnam?